EEP in brief
The Ethiopian Electric Light and Power Authority (EELPA) which was established in 1956, after having undergone restructuring, was reorganized as the Ethiopian Electric Power Corporation (EEPCo). EEPCo later by the decree announced by reorganized in to two companies Ethiopian Electric Power (EEP) and Ethiopian Electric Utility (EEU). EEP which was established in 2013 by the Council of Ministers Regulation No.302/2013 and by the revised Council of Ministers proclamation No 381/2015 is responsible for Generation, Transmission and wholesale of electricity nation-wide and export the balance.
Electric Supply System
Presently the company maintains two different power supply systems; namely, the Interconnected System (ICS), which is mainly supplied from hydro power plants, wind farms and the Self-Contained System (SCS), which consists of mini-hydropower plants and a number of isolated diesel generating units that are widely spread all over the country.