Under development
Power generation
Start date
Energy source
Hydro
Overview

Genale Dawa III hydro power Project is located at the boundry of Guji and Bale Zones, in the State of Oromia some 650km from Addis Ababa. Currently, the overall work on the project has reached 91 percent.

Details

Genale Dawa III hydro power Project is located at the boundry of Guji and Bale Zones, in the State of Oromia some 650km from Addis Ababa. Currently, the overall work on the project has reached 91 percent.

The work on the project was launched in March 2011 with a total cost of 451 million USD, of which, 60% is financed by Import and Export Bank of China (EXIM Bank) and the rest 40% is covered by the government of Ethiopia.

Electro mechanical works has been carried out which enables the project to generate electricity. Currently, tunnel release, outlet structure, excavation, cement concrete, grouting and tunnel surface treatment works has completed. Where as, the work on pipe installation, control room gate, concrete works on tunnel gate has been carried out accordingly. What is more, concrete works on three power units, gypsum and painting works are underway.

The project has a potential of damming 2.57 billion cubic meter water. In due course of time, construction of main and access road has executed which is vital for maintenance, transport etc.

Totally Genale Dawa III hydro power project has a height of 110m, 426m width and an area of 98km2. The project created job opportunity for about 771 Ethiopians with 10 percent females share.

The power house will accommodate 3×84.7 MW vertical-shaft Francis turbine generator units with a total installed capacity of 254MW and a mean annual power generation of 1,622 GWh.

The project has been constructed by CGGC of China and a consultancy service has provided by an American firm MWH in joint venture with the local companies Integrated and Acute engineering.

Photos
GENALEDAWA2

GENALEDAWA2

GENALEDAWA21

GENALEDAWA21

Documents

Updates

Contact

EEP
Phone (External Public Relations Office): +251115580598 or +251115580631
Fax:
P.O.Box , Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Contacts

About EEP

EEP was established in 2013 by the Council of Ministers Regulation No.302/2013 and is responsible for generating, transmitting and wholesale electricity to be utilized nationwide as well as neighboring countries.
About EEP